The Best Cooling Products for Menopause in 2017
From your first period to your last, your body is subjected to the monthly wild swings of estrogen and progesterone; it can feel like a rollercoaster ride. With those peaks and valleys comes a whole barrel of fun—PMS, estrogen dominance, migraine headaches, cramps, and bloating; the list goes on and on. But when those cycles finally reach their end and your estrogen and progesterone production ebbs for once and for all, you are in for a whole new adventure: menopause, and its trademark symptom: hot flashes.
Thankfully you do not need to manage hot flashes on your own. There are a ton of cooling products out there which you can use to reduce the severity and duration of your symptoms.
Cooling products can be divided into categories:
- Mattress pads
- Bandanas and scarves
- Nightgowns and other attire
If you are tired of waking up in a sea of sweat, here are X of the top cooling products to try in each of these categories!
Cooling Pillows for Menopause
Apparently when you are cold, quite a bit of heat leaves through your head. Logically, I am not sure that this means that the head is important in regulating temperature in both directions, though it makes sense for me intuitively to think so.
Imagine how much better you would feel during a hot flash with a nice cool pillow to rest your head on. Well, that is exactly what a cooling pillow is! Most of them are filled with gel, rather like the warm/cool packs you buy for sore muscles. In some cases, you are purchasing an actual pillow, while in other cases, you are buying a pillow mat which you simply place on top of your existing pillow. Cooling pillows and pillow mats are among the most popular products for regulating body temperature during menopause.
Top Cooling Pillows:
- FOMI Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow: This pillow features an ergonomic shape which helps to cradle your head for comfortable, restful sleep. The Flat Bottom Platform lets you stack up other pillows as needed under the FOMI so that it is at just the right height. As of right now, more than 20 buyers have given the FOMI pillow an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- Gel’O Cool Pillow Mat by Human Creations: With more than 1,580 customer reviews and an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars, this is a very popular cooling pillow. You can refrigerate it to cool it down, or put it in the microwave if you ever need it as a warm pack.
- ChillowPLUS Original Deluxe 2-Sided Pillow Pad by Soothsoft Innovations: This pillow has more than 250 customer reviews averaging out to 3.5 out of 5 stars. To use it, you need to begin by filling it with water. Customers report that while it is firm enough to provide ample support, it is still flexible enough to be comfortable and soothing. Some buyers do mention a plastic odor, but say this goes away after a few weeks of use.
- Penguin Cooling Pillow Mat by Penguin Pillow Mat: This product has more than 670 customer ratings for an average score of 4.5 out of 5 stars. It is very reasonably priced and is one of the larger pillow mats available online. Like the other pillow mats recommended here, it has a leak-free design. It features a solid, continuous piece of gel, not a set of segmented sections. This eliminates uncomfortable grooves in your sleeping surface.
- Frosty Pillow Gel Mat by Angel Baby: This is a low-cost option, selling in the $14-$30 range. More than 150 customers have given it an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars, so it appears to be an excellent value. It is soft, flexible, and contours to your body. You can use it without refrigerating it, but if you do place it in the fridge for a few minutes beforehand, it will work even better.
- Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow: This pillow has more than 850 reviews and an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars. With medium-soft memory foam on one side and medium-firm cooling gel on the other, it looks to be one of the comfiest options. The cover can be removed and washed.
- Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow by Product Stop, Inc: Another very cozy-looking choice is this memory foam pillow with more than 80 customer reviews and an average of 4 out of 5 stars. The contoured design is ergonomic and provides plenty of support for your head and neck.
Cooling Towels for Menopause
The primary target market for cooling towels is not actually women in menopause, but athletes who do sports like yoga which can cause body temperature to soar. With a cooling towel, you soak it, wring it, and snap it. The towel then retains its coolness for hours. They are designed not to drip, and can drop your body temperature by as much as 30 degrees.
Top Cooling Towels:
- The Original Chill Pal Cooling Towel: With more than 1,000 customer reviews and an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, this is a fabulous purchase for under $20. It comes in three different colors and can provide you with lasting relief.
- Alfamo Cooling Towels: This towel has more than 650 customer reviews, again with a 4.5 star average rating. Like the Original Chill Pal, the Alfamo Cooling Towel comes in a number of different colors. It can reduce your body temperature by as much as 30 degrees and stays cold for up to 3 hours.
- Ergodyne Chill-Its 6602 Evaporative Cooling Towel: This towel is the most popular of all with more than 1,380 customer reviews. Like the others, it is cost-effective and highly-rated.
- Way 2 Cool Microfiber Cooling Towel: If you are searching for a ton of color options, you will want to check out the Way 2 Cool towel. This microfiber towel comes in a number of solid colors as well as patterns like polka dots and chevrons.
Cooling Mattress Pads for Menopause
A cooling mattress pad is exactly what it sounds like—a pad you put on your mattress to keep the surface of your bed cooler. Unlike heated mattress pads, they do not rely on electricity, nor do they require refrigeration like a lot of the gel-filled pillows. Instead, they contain cooling crystals. These absorb heat when you lie on them, and release it when you roll away.
Top Cooling Mattress Pads:
- Shield Life Cool Pad: More than 20 buyers have rated this cooling mattress pad with an average of 3.5 out of 5 stars. It costs less than some other options you will find out there. Even though it is not as highly rated as it could be, the reviews seem to be fair and balanced, indicating that the pad’s stiffness can be uncomfortable, but that it does well at keeping you cool.
- Nature’s Sleep Thick AirCool IQ Mattress Topper: A mattress pad like this has a very different design than the one above. Rather than a thin little pad, here you have a thicker topper for your mattress made out of gel memory foam. It looks a good deal more comfortable, and going by the reviews (more than 100 averaging out to 4 out of 5 stars), it is. In fact, it may actually be more comfortable than your existing mattress is on its own, as it is designed to reduce pressure point stress.
- Comfort Revolution Twin Cerulean Bubbles Hydraluxe Cooling Gel Bed Mattress Pad: While this mattress pad is highly rated, it only has several reviews, so it is hard to make a confident judgment call on its quality. It does cover the entire bed however, which is nice, as many similar pads do not.
Cooling Bras for Menopause
In this category, you will find bras which are designed with thin inserts with cooling properties—sometimes you also will find inserts for sale which you can use in your own bras. You also will find more general-purpose bras which are designed to wick heat and moisture. Wear these to stay cool throughout the day; this can be particularly helpful if you live in a hot climate.
Top Cooling Bras and Inserts:
- Curvation Women’s Comfort Essentials Cooling Touch Bra: This bra doesn’t contain any inserts, but it is made out of fabric which wicks moisture. This helps it to stay cool and comfortable. It comes in black or white, and is popular and highly rated; more than 40 buyers have given it 4.5 out of 5 stars on average.
- My Breast Friend: This product is not all that highly rated, but it is one of the few examples of cooling inserts on Amazon.com, so I have included it here. These require no refrigeration and can last for up to 6 hours. They are one-time use items.
- Bra Liner: This is a basic set of 100% cotton liners. You add them to your bra to absorb sweat, which helps you to stay cool. As a bonus, they help to reduce chafing from uncomfortable bras.
Cooling Bandanas and Scarves for Menopause
These products work much like the cooling towels mentioned previously. To use them, you have to soak them, which will cause an expansion in some gel beads inside the material. These beads will hold the cold and provide you with hours of relief on a hot day. Bandanas and scarves are great because you can take them with you anywhere.
Top Cooling Scarves and Bandanas:
- Ergodyne Chill-Its 6700CT Evaporative Cooling Bandana: This popular cooling bandana has more than 790 customer reviews as of the time of this writing, averaging out to 3.5 out of 5 stars. It is reusable, available in a number of different colors and patterns, and is designed to be lightweight and low-profile. You can even wear it under a hat.
- Opromo Solid Color Cooling Bandana: You can buy this bandana in more than a dozen different colors. It is very inexpensive and well-rated and reviewed. According to the manufacturer, it will stay cool not just for hours, but for days. You can also re-use it.
- JellyBeadZ Neck Cooling Scarf Wrap: This popular scarf is also very reasonably priced, reusable, and immensely popular; more than 160 customers have reviewed it. You can buy it in numerous different colors. It works just like the others. Soak it in icy water and it will stay cool for a long time.
Cooling Nightgowns and Attire for Menopause
Cooling nightgowns and other cooling attire for menopause are designed with moisture wicking qualities. They pull heat and moisture away from your body, and are absorbent and quick-trying.
Top Cooling Nightgowns and Attire:
- Cool-Jams Moisture Wicking Gathered Tank Nightgown: This simple nightgown is available in navy, turquoise, black or pink. Not only does it have heat and moisture wicking, but it also is antibacterial so it stays fresh.
- Cool-Jams Moisture Wicking Long Tank Nightgown: Available in mint leaf, black or lilac, this is the longer version of the nightgown above.
- Cool-Jams Wicking Sleepwear Women’s Long Sleeve: If you prefer pajamas over a nightgown, you can purchase these cooling PJs in periwinkle, black, lilac, navy or turquoise.
Conclusion: There Are Many Ways to Stay Cool During Hot Flashes
Menopause hot flashes can leave you uncomfortable during the day and sleepless at night, but you do not have to suffer and sweat without relief! As you can see, there are a ton of different types of products out there which can help you to cool down, relax, and get the rest you need.